Tuesday, April 20, 2010

GSC #2 Flat Rock Park Columbus, Ga.


Since this is my home track I was somewhat wondering if I would actually have an advantage for the race. Being that I practice here at least 2 times a week, I feel that I should. The time trial on Saturday surely showed that I have the potential to make it happen (except for the crash at the end).

So the hour has finally arrived and I am feeling strong and confident. My race doesn't start til 11:30, so I am patiently waiting. As I am riding around warming up the legs, I notice groups of riders starting to line up near the start line. Hmmmmm I wondered. Are the races ready to start? By the time I got over there the first group was off and riding! WOW, I almost wasn't paying enough attention and almost missed my start! Doh!!! So we were the next group up by the time I got over and ready to go.

The whistle blew and we were off. I had told the guys that I didn't want to be leading the race right from the start, but wouldn't you know it, I am. But not for long as Robert Wommack got a little impatient and passed a few hundred yards into the race. So it is Robert, me, and Curtis and all of the rest heading off into the first section of woods. It is still a tight pack as we turn on the new berm and head towards the trench.

When we reach the top of trench hill we are hitting it pretty hard and fast. Robert is a little out of control on the dip and crashes right in front of me. Luckily he veers off of the trail and into the woods, so we just keep on going right past him. He is uninjured and continues racing, but is in the back of the pack.

So I am now leading again. I have to keep telling myself not to push it too hard and don't worry if you get passed. I am thinking ahead to what is coming up next on the trail. The chicane and then the rock garden. Neither of which are my favorites, but I have to do them non-the-less! I just hope that I don't crash.

As we come to the top of the hill I glance back
and see that there is now a 4 man breakaway from the group and Mike Nichols is in it with us. So we enter into the rock garden with much anticipation. As I make the first right hand switchback I get stopped on a rock with my front tire and fall over. Curtis passes me before I can get up. As I am getting back on my bike Mike pulls up and stops to let me in. I couldn't believe it. What a great guy and teammate!

As we come around the bottom of the rock garden
I am planning what to do for the climb up the rocks. I decide that I will get off of the bike and run it up the hill. So now I am back in 2nd place and I have lost some ground. I tell myself not to worry as we still have a lot of ground to cover. I eventually catch back up to Curtis as we are about to cross the road at the end of the lake. I stay right on his tail all the way through until we reach the exit of the first back woods section.

As we are approaching the exit we catch up to a slower rider from the group that started ahead of us. Now I am planning my strategy to pass Curtis. As we exit the woods I gun it and pass both guys before they knew what hit them and shoot back into the woods in the 2nd section. I know Curtis is going to be right there so I try to keep a fast pace going.

We are about halfway through the 2nd wooded section when we catch up to another slower rider from the group ahead of us. I ride is tail for a short bit and ask him to let me pass when he gets a chance. He does and I pass but Curtis doesn't get the chance to pass him too! YAY, I think. Now I can really put the pedal to the metal and try to pull away from him. I do this and never look back.

As I am exiting the woods and finishing the low area below the dam I catch up to David Jones. I tell him to look out for Curtis as he is coming up behind me. I don't know how much of lead I have, but hopefully he will get stuck behind David and have to slow down again to pass. David tells me that this is exactly what happened after the race is over.

So I am now flying through the top 2 sections on my way to the finish line. As I round some of the switchbacks I get a glimpse back and see Curtis is a pretty good way behind me now. I just have to finish the race uneventful and I will have the win! I feel that I am blistering the pace just like I did in the time trial. I come out of the last section and no one is behind me.

I cross the finish line in 1st place about 30 seconds ahead of Curtis! YAY My time was 50:29 which equates to 12.23 mph. This win also puts me in 1st place overall in the GSC points series (by only 1 point though). Mike Nichols came in 3rd place.


See complete results HERE

No comments: